Opportunity is knocking. Are you prepared? The requirements for landing the position or promotion you desire are, experience, credentials, a good attitude and a strong professional image and brand (in person and in Social Media). The interview gives you the opportunity to create a positive and memorable impression that will give you a competitive advantage over your competitors. These ten simple steps help ensure that you make it to the “short list” of candidates from which the final selection will be made. Your image is one of your most important and powerful tools. Use it to build a strong and winning personal brand. Create a positive and lasting impression.
Plan to arrive at least 20 minutes early for your appointment. Review the travel directions in advance.
- Create a winning, branded bio and resume that make you stand out. Take extra copies and other supporting materials to the interview.
- Dress appropriately for the position you are seeking. Get help if you are not sure.
- Make sure you have done background research on the company or organization that prepares you to ask intelligent questions during and after the interview.
- Communicate clearly, confidently and with pride. Show that you believe in yourself. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Be bold and purposeful
- Make sure your body language is positive from the moment you step out of your car or off the bus or train. You never know who may be nearby watching you from an office or the parking lot.
- Practice good business etiquette and considerate acts of civility before, during and after the interview. Say please, thank you, excuse me, may I. Smile.
- Use good posture, poise and demonstrate confidence and assurance
- Be engaging, personable, charming, graceful, approachable, likeable and credible
- Send a thank you letter after the interview to all the interviewers
Your image is one of your most important and powerful tools. It shapes your personal brand.
Yasmin Anderson-Smith, is a certified, professional image management consultant and personal branding strategist. Yasmin is President and CEO of KYMS Image International, LLC, Washington Metro Area
SCHEDULE: A FREE 20 minute phone consultation
REGISTER: For our next personal banding webinar, Sept. 16 & 23,2013 – http://conta.cc/14YR2TE